Monday, February 13, 2017

And, that's a wrap of the Splendid Sampler Quilt Along part 1

Just finished making all 100 blocks yesterday!  WhoooHooo!  Can't believe it!  So excited!  Let's do a little wrap up of things Splendid.

Block 97, First Purse.  What a cute little block pattern.  They've saved the best for last.


Block 98, Fleur de Lei.  Oh!  What an exquisite block pattern.  I love this!


Block 99, Four Corner Pinwheel.  And, then there's this darling of a block by the talented Kimberly Einmo.  Oh my.  I did change my mind on the grey I used here, but, forgot to photograph it.  Shame on me.  It's much better with my new fabric pieces.  Maybe you can see it in my top.  Look for it.  It's coming up in the bottom of this post.



Drum roll please.........Block 100!!!!  Centered!!!  Oh how fun this block was to make.  Why, I could use anything I wanted to because I didn't need to save anything more.  Well, not technically, but, you never know when I might want to make something else out of it.  Anyway, here it is...


And, me and Starlight showing off our prized block 100 to the hubster.  Lookie!  I did it!


And, now, for the moment I have been waiting and waiting to show you.  My prized Butterfly Splendid Sampler!  


This is me trying to hold it all out for hubby to photo.


And, here she is trying to fly away!


And, here she is clipped on and hubby trying to hold her down!  Now, I would like to take a moment and tell you how this butterfly version came about.  Last year when we started this journey I really didn't know what I was doing or where I was going.  It was a mystery, so, we didn't know what these 100 blocks were going to look like at all!  So, for the four or five blocks I was just using whatever fabric I wanted from my Cotton & Steel fat quarter bundle that I felt like using.  But, putting them up against each other, I didn't really like them.  And, then, I remember one of the ladies from the Splendid Sampler Facebook group said she was going to do hers in a block color way fashion.  And, I thought, I think I might like that.  So, I tried making a block using just one color as the main color and, bam!  It hit me.  I wonder if I could make mine into the shape of a butterfly.  So, I got out my trusty paper and pencil and colored pencils, and blocked out 100 blocks.  And, started coloring in what colors of fabrics I had and trying to make a butterfly shape.  This is what I came up with.  This is my original plan from the beginning.  After that, I had to try to stay in the color way for the blocks I was making.  And, I'm super excited that it all mashes together beautifully and it's all made in America.  I get to say that because I used all Cotton & Steel fabrics, except for one Mermaid piece, but, she has been such a fabulous helper, I had to include her!  And, she gets center stage (block).  As per requested by Pat Sloan, the lovely lady who helped design this Splendid Sampler, along with her comrade, Jane Davidson, the DownUnder Quilter, as I like to call her.


Look for updates on the Butterfly Splendid Sampler.  I have more pictures to take.  More borders to add.  We ain't done yet!  Come on Mermaid, let's have a cup of coffee and cake and talk about it...




No comments:

Post a Comment